Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"Never At Bay" - 20 Little Poetry Projects


I, a crooked body of blue, was tracing the tributaries underneath my skin when
I saw you picking your nails with a cautious glance –
I think you were afraid to take me in,
and all I could taste was salt and disorder coming back up my throat
but in spite of this, I still felt you whisper
 ‘I’ve never been this close to anyone.’
The water in which I was drowning smiled, because I was its,
and I could do nothing about it because I am insane. 
In the name of Tomorrow’s, you'll figure it all out and you’ll let me go
in case the real me never comes back again.
mas vous êtes le plus grand;
I can’t come to think of losing the sound of making sense,
the scent of sanity,
you – the only boat sailing by the chaotic, dry harbor of me.

The sleepy hands of slumber cradle me now, and
I fall asleep because I want to wade in my crazy oddity with you by my side
but I actually am just tired, and I’d hate to make you swim with me
because then, you’d begin to drown too. 

1 comment:

  1. This is well-titled. Excellent recurrence of water-theme. This is called "through-line."

    I just love the first two lines.

    This poem needs revision. Take out some lines that were for the assignment, but aren't really necessary.

    I see potential for this to be a legitimately great poem.

    ReplyDelete