Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"I, Of Course" - Free Verse


Last winter, you took me in.
Best friends, you called it.
Forever.
So I, of course, could not object.
We bought friendship necklaces and I thought they were dumb,
but I wore mine all the time because I never had one before.

We gossiped, we shopped, and we laughed
though we never really communicated.
You led and I followed
but I, of course, could not mind.
We were still wearing our necklaces, though,
and that was good enough.

But I realized my necklace became a leash one day
and when I try to escape,
you hold me back because you said forever
and I, of course, cannot say anything.
I am choking, helpless,
and all I want is for you to ask me how I’ve been for once

but you lead, I follow –
and you, of course, would never care anyways. 

4 comments:

  1. The switch to present tense in stanza three is wonderful--a great (and hopefully concious) choice with the "cannot."

    This is a good poem.

    I appreciate the use of italics to substitute for the "" for dialogue. The extra punctuation can sometimes get in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is great! I love how you include "I, of course" throughout the poem, however you end with "and you, of course." This is great! Keep these nice poems going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tense change was intentional! I was a little worried no one would pick up on that.

    Thanks to both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with both of them^^
    Love the leash part (:

    ReplyDelete